AI is finally here, and it is named ChatGPT. And it’s smart. Wicked smart.
Gone are the days of AOL Instant Messenger chatbots – today’s AI is intelligent, witty, and well-read.
Coming up in AI responses to queries, especially those from ChatGPT, is increasingly becoming a focus for SEOs and digital marketers this year. But how do you optimize your website for ChatGPT and other AI bots?
In this article, we will go right to the artificial intelligence engine itself, as well as provide some general tips for search engine optimization that can help future-proof your website for the new advancements in AI that are around the corner.
Where Does ChatGPT Get Its Data?
Currently, ChatGPT does not scour the web on it’s own – it is fed data, and it uses that data to learn. While that data IS from the Internet and many websites, it is currently out of date (it is from 2021), but it is in the process of being updated soon with current 2023 data.
When this happens, it will take the information it was fed and update its answering capabilities, including references to websites within its search and query results.
“The training data for ChatGPT was cut off in 2021, so it is up to two years outdated as of 2023. However, it still has a vast amount of information on a wide range of topics, and its training data includes text from diverse sources such as websites, books, and articles, which provides a broad base of general knowledge. But it is important to keep in mind that some information and events that have taken place since the training data was cut off might not be reflected in its responses.”ChatGPT
The current understanding is that if you rank well for various queries in the new set of data and the continuous flow of data following, you will show up more frequently in the results ChatGPT gives to its users.
But how can you do that?
SEO for ChatGPT
According to the prompt I asked ChatGPT in the development of this article…
“As ChatGPT is an AI language model developed by OpenAI, it is not possible to optimize a website specifically for it. However, here are a few general tips for creating a website that is friendly for language models and search engines:
- Use clear, concise, and well-structured content: This will help language models and search engines understand the content on your website and provide more accurate and relevant results.
- Utilize headings and subheadings: This makes it easier for language models and search engines to understand the structure of your content.
- Include relevant keywords: Use keywords relevant to your content in your headings, subheadings, and throughout your content to help search engines understand the topic of your website.
- Provide high-quality, original content: Search engines and language models prefer websites with high-quality, original content over sites with low-quality or duplicate content.
- Make sure your website is easily accessible: Ensure that your website is easily accessible to both users and search engines by avoiding broken links and fixing technical issues.
These tips can help ensure that your website is well-structured, easily understood, and provides a positive user experience, which can improve its overall visibility and ranking in search engine results.”ChatGPT
To Optimize For AI, Optimize For Voice Search
One of the clearest understandings we have regarding the information given back by ChatGPT is how much it seems to prefer natural human language, and when questions are both Asked and Answered within the content. This presents strategies akin to how an SEO or webmaster may optimize their website for voice assistants, like Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
Here are some tips on how to best optimize your website for voice search and voice assistants.
- Use conversational language: Voice search queries tend to be more conversational and longer than text-based searches, so use language that is natural and easily understood.
- Optimize for local search: Voice search is often used for local queries, so make sure your website is optimized for local search by including your business name, address, and phone number (NAP) on your website.
- Utilize structured data: Use schema markup to help search engines understand the content on your website, including your business’s NAP and information about products and services.
- Provide quick answers: Voice search is often used to find quick answers to questions, so make sure your website provides concise and accurate answers to common queries.
- Make sure your website is mobile-friendly: Many voice searches are conducted on mobile devices, so it’s important to make sure your website is mobile-friendly and easily accessible on all devices.
By following these tips, you can help improve your website’s visibility in voice search results and provide a better user experience for voice search users.
Get more tips from our team on how to optimize for voice search by checking out this resource, How to Optimize for Voice Search.
ChatGPT As A Search Engine: The Future
Will ChatGPT replace Google in the future? It’s the question many webmasters, digital marketers, and SEOs keep asking – but no one really knows what’s in store. ChatGPT has its own canned response to questions about it’s future as a potential search engine, stating,
“While OpenAI may choose to develop other models with web crawling capabilities in the future, ChatGPT itself is not designed to crawl the web.”ChatGPT
For an SEO like me? That’s doublespeak for Coming Soon.
For more information on how you can get your website optimized with proper SEO for voice search and AI bots, contact us today.